REDI Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager
GDPR Compliance - As part of any recruitment process, REDI NGO collects and processes personal data relating to job applicants. The organisation is committed to being transparent about how it collects and uses that data and to meeting its data protection obligations. Data we collect: your name, address and contact details, including email address and telephone number; details of your qualifications, skills, experience and employment history. Your data will be deleted after six months.
REDI is seeking an experienced leader to develop and implement our approach to monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL). This leadership position will be the first role of its kind within REDI and will aim to foster a culture of rigorous and thoughtful learning and reflection across the REDI team with an emphasis on building and equipping other internal champions. This position will be embedded within several projects across REDI fund and NGO with a primary focus on Western Balkans and Eastern Europe. You will work with a small, committed team led by young Roma Professionals from different European countries to deliver innovative projects with social impact to Roma communities.
Who we are
Roma Entrepreneurship Development Initiative (REDI), is a pathbreaking ecosystem builder, using multiple tools to connect Roma entrepreneurs to the mainstream business environment across Bulgaria, North Macedonia, Romania, and Serbia. The REDI fund is the world’s first investment fund for Roma communities, aiming to improve access to finance for Roma entrepreneurs through loans and partnerships to financial institutions. Alongside this REDI NGO works at the community level to break to break cycle of exclusion from financial services for Roma communities.
As MEL Director, you will:
- Assess REDI’s capacity and needs in monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL), and work with our leadership team and other key stakeholders to design and launch a coherent and comprehensive MEL strategy and framework, adapting it to the reality of REDI’s organizational dynamics, as needed.
- Engage with REDI fund and NGO teams to help them envision, embed, and experiment with creative methods for learnings and impact measurement into the solutions they’re delivering at the design, pilot, and implementation phases of our projects.
- Translate these creative methods into MEL tools, templates, guides and methodologies to monitor REDI’s progress against organizational and project-related impact and learning goals in a timely manner.
- Ensure that the companies under the REDI fund have the support needed through tools, templates, and guidance to report on the fund social performance indicators. Conduct data quality checks periodically to assess companies’ needs and develop solutions to improve data quality across the fund portfolio.
- Support organization-wide learning by nurturing a culture of evidence use and experimentation, regularly producing and sharing data-driven insights and partnering with teams to translate them into new practices.
- Design, oversee, and/or monitor special studies, evaluations, and research experiments to advance REDI’s learning and mission.
- Working with REDI’s future Program Director, analyze, synthesize, and produce key insights and overarching narratives that can easily inform multiple audiences — from investment banks, European delegations, to philanthropic, academic and program partners.
- Serve as the main point of contact to external partners requesting summaries, updates, and presentations regarding our learnings and impact, in collaboration with the development team.
- Other responsibilities, as determined by the REDI leadership team.
- At least 6+ years prior experience leading metrics and monitoring, evaluation and learning efforts in a social sector or social enterprise organizations, preferably in a fast-paced social change or advocacy context.
- Strong experience building MEL systems and practices across regions and projects and in nurturing a culture of learning and innovation through evidence use. Must be able to expertly design and facilitate processes that surface rich data and insights while efficiently managing time and resources.
- Demonstrated experience in working with teams on a variety of initiatives, in hybrid and in-person settings, to creatively develop new ways of collecting information and measuring the effectiveness of REDI’s cross-disciplinary work.
- Excel at using a broad range of both quantitative and qualitative tools and methods to collect, analyse and report data on vulnerable populations and be comfortable operating concurrently at several levels of analysis. Knows how to use the right resources and information to answer complex questions with both rigor and elegance in short timeframes.
- Demonstrable skills in synthetizing and presenting complex data through compelling data visualization and storytelling. Is excited to share our learnings and approach to measuring impact.
- Team-oriented, self-directed, a careful listener, and an excellent communicator at both senior (Board) and non-technical audiences.
- Direct experience or understanding of issues facing Roma communities.
What we offer
- The position is full-time, but we are open to consider part-time or contract assignments. Hybrid or remote working options are available, with travel to the region.
- The salary offer will vary depending on experience within a competitive range for the years of experience required.